Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Follow Me on Pinterest
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Midwifery Personal Statement Example!

As I have accepted an offer for nursing and will be becoming a student nurse, I therefore won't be applying for Midwifery again.

So due to the above I thought I would share with you pieces of my personal statement to give you an example and to break it down into sections so you can see how to link in your transferable skills etc.

My PS has gotten me interviews every year that I have applied.

Please note this PS has been submitted to UCAS and read by universities so don't copy it as you will do yourself no favours. UCAS has a plagiarism checker for personal statements so even if you copy a paragraph of mine it will get flagged up. That won't be a great start to your journey on becoming a midwife.

Personal statements are meant to be personal to you and if you use someone else's you will find it hard to answer questions which you are asked on based on the PS.

Break down -

Layout
    Personally I like to break the PS up into clear distinguishable paragraphs, this allows me to make sure I have a section to cover different areas.

For example:
    1st paragraph - shows why I want to be a midwife and where my passion originally came from.
    2nd paragraph - demonstrates my understanding of the midwives role.
    3rd & 4th paragraph - shows how I've linked transferable skills from my job roles into the role of a midwife.
    5th paragraph - I've shown an achievement and what I've learned from said achievement.
    6th paragraph - shows my commitment to study.
    7th & 8th paragraph - shows my work experience/midwifery related opportunities that I have undertaken.
    9th paragraph - my closing sentence, I've been bold and confident and reaffirming that I'm confident in what I know and what I've demonstrated in my PS.

I personally think breaking it down into sections allows you to write more easily on a specific topic I.e understanding the role of the midwife, transferable skills, education etc.

It also makes it easier for the person reading it to read as its not one huge block of text.

Transferable skills
    Thoughout my personal statement I have linked in my transferable skills directly into those of a midwife, examples -

Midwives work in partnership with women through pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period. I work in partnership with parents on a daily basis utilising excellent communication skills so they can make informed choices about their child's care, diet and social interaction. The ability to provide parents with accurate information transfers to midwifery and will enable me to provide information and support during the childbirth continuum thus facilitating an informed choice and placing women at the centre of their own care.
    Lets break this down a bit further.

So firstly I state a little segment of the midwives role, this again shows my understanding and allows me to link in my skills.

Midwives work in partnership with women through pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period.
    I then state how my current role as a nursery nurse matches the above.

I work in partnership with parents on a daily basis utilising excellent communication skills so they can make informed choices about their child's care, diet and social interaction.
    I then demonstrate why these skills are important and how they link in with the midwives role.

The ability to provide parents with accurate information transfers to midwifery and will enable me to provide information and support during the childbirth continuum thus facilitating an informed choice and placing women at the centre of their own care.
    Ive done this through out my PS to demonstrate understanding of the midwives role through out, demonstrate the skills I have, why they are important and how they are linked into midwifery.

Keywords/buzzwords

It's important to have buzz/keywords through out your PS. This shows your understanding of such words and allows you to make a point/get something across without waffling on. Buzzwords can save you a few words at times.

Examples of buzzwords/keywords that I've used through out my PS.

Empowered
    Informed choices
    Woman-centred care
    Professional
    Accountable
    Deviations
    Normality
    Partnership
    Communication
    Flexibility etc.

Those are just some of the buzz/keywords that I feel have shown in my PS, some may disagree BUT I have reasoning behind why ive used each keyword.

For example -
    Communication - I think it's important that there is good communication between my self and women to build a good rapport and for providing information. Communication is also important for working in a multi-disciplinary to ensure contuinity of care.

Flexibility - I feel it's important to show that I can be flexible as I know how hard going the course is with early, late, long shifts, nights and the possibility that things may run over etc.

One thing I will say is don't use big fancy buzz/keywords if you don't understand what they mean. If your asked about something regarding your PS at interview and you've used buzzwords you don't understand, you will end up getting confused.

So make sure you understand what they mean.

If possible try to give a reason for your use of keywords like I have above as this can be used as a prompt in interview if you suddenly get a little lost, it also allows you to back up what you are saying.

I really do hope this helps and remember your PS is personal to YOU!

Good luck!!!
    (Remove these adverts now by Registering for free!)
    Last edited by MrsBanks; 08-05-12 at 10:06 PM.
    Student Nurse 2012

Re: Midwifery Personal Statement Example!

Fantastic!
    Wish you had posted this before I sent you my draft!
    Eek, not looking forward to my review now!

I will deffo be taking notes on this x

Haha don't worry about your review. We will give you pointers and examples where possible.

I just thought I'd share as I know how hard it is to write your PS. This PS I have used every year I've applied but I've updated and adapted it slightly each time I submitted it, but kept the basic structure the same. I got interviews every year so stuck with it.

I even adapted the above PS for my nursing application, which I then got an interview and a offer.

So it can't be THAT bad .
    Student Nurse 2012

boy oh boy.. its nice to read a personal statement that you know has received offers, whilst trolling the web i have read dozens but never known if they were ever any good.

Just resubmitted mine to you, was practically a rewrite but hopefully an improvement x

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. It will really help me break down my PS when I start drafting it. I now feel more confident I can show my passion and experience well through my PS xxx
    Last edited by Owl; 08-05-12 at 10:06 PM.
    Mum, Runner, Chocoholic!
    Applying for Midwifery 2013
    If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough!

Well done on your offer X
    Applying for the first time - UEA 2013

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for sharing Dappy, it will be hugely beneficial to those of us who struggle to cover everything within our PS's.
    4th time lucky (3rds overrated ) Keele (U), Staffs - interview 17th Jan, Chester - OFFER!!!! , BCU - OFFER!!! and Worcester - interview 21st Jan - withdrawn

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thats all good stuff thanks for sharing. Im just updating and ammending mine for this year as it got me the interview i wanted last year x
    Rejected after interview this year. Applying again September x

Thankyou for sharing that with us all, i have a much better understanding of how to apply myself now

Thanks for this, has really helped
    2013...first year of applying...will have my fingers and toes crossed for the next year

Thank you for sharing this has help me think about mine a lot.

No worries, if it helps point you in the right track regarding transferable skills then my jobs done!
    Student Nurse 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thankyou dappy got up this morning ready to start my P.S and went blank, this has really helped and given me some pointers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Wow. Thank you. This has really helped me focus again.

No worries! It can be really hard unless you can visually see a breakdown!
    Student Nurse 2012

This is really helpful. I've been looking for words that sum up what I'm trying to say!

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Dappy View Post
    As I have accepted an offer for nursing and will be becoming a student nurse, I therefore won't be applying for Midwifery again.
    did you use this personal statement to apply for nursing aswell as midwifery? I'm thinking of applying for midwifery and nursing but not sure if tailoring my personal statement entirely towards midwifery would get me any offers for nursing aswell!

Hiya unregistered. I used the framework of my personal statement for both professions, but tailored specific bits to each career.

However I didn't apply for both at the same time, so I had my midwifery one. Withdrew my offers then tweaked it so it was nursing focused and applied directly to the university.

If your applying for midwifery if your PS has any hints of nursing, it's unlikely your get an interview, it needs to be 100% midwifery foccussed. It's not worth the risk.

It's not unknown for those who have applied for midwifery to be offered nursing, but then again that depends on the Uni and isn't guaranteed.
    Student Nurse 2012

i sent my ps off on wednesday after pulling it apart putting ity back together and then a friend doing the same,but i didnt like the end result so spliced the two together as i wanted something of my personality to come through